As an independent consultant, I'm often faced with the dilemma of whether to pursue new projects or work that comes my way. I recently had a discussion with one of my mentors about this.
He gave me 6 criteria for new projects to consider, which I think can apply to many projects or work that many consultants -- independent or not -- are pursuing.
- Integrity. Are these good people? Do you respect and like them? Do they respect and like you?
- Growth. Is there an opportunity to learn something new? Even experts can learn new things.
- Relationship. What's the potential for a long-term relationship? Once this project ends, will there be more work?
- Synergy. Does the project/work fit with the other projects/work you're doing? Is it in your wheelhouse?
- Efficient. If there are travel requirements, are they reasonable? Can you get there and back without too much trouble?
- Excitement. Does the project/work seem exciting to you? Will it in three months?
P.S. Please do me a favor -- if you liked this post and like this blog, please share it with others by sending them the link and/or post it on your Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook, etc. Also, don't forget to subscribe, so you'll get emails when new content is posted. Thanks!