Updated July 7, 2020.
Since early March, I’ve been compiling a list of useful articles and blog posts that are relevant to the impact of Covid-19 on senior housing, hospital, clinic, and residential facility design.
They are listed by date published, with the most recent at the bottom of each category. I’ll keep updating this list every week, so bookmark the link to this page and check back again.
Hospitals & Clinics
- CDC Creates ‘Interim Guidance for Healthcare Facilities: Preparing for Community Transmission of COVID-19 in the United States,’ McMorrow Reports/Healthcare, March 8, 2020.
- A Look at How U.S. Hospitals Are Designed to Battle Infectious Diseases Like Coronavirus. CannonDesign, March 11, 2020.
- Array Advisor’s Model Validates Fears of ICU Bed Shortage Due to Coronavirus Pandemic. Array Architects, March 16, 2020.
- Copper Kills Coronavirus. Why Aren’t Our Surfaces Covered in It? Fast Company, March 16, 2020.
- During COVID-19, Experts Outline 5 KeySteps for Finding Extra Hospital Capacity. Modern Healthcare, March 16, 2020.
- Is There a Silver Lining to COVID-19? Healthcare Design, March 16, 2020.
- Pandemics Spread in Hospitals. Changes in Design and Protocols Can Save Lives. Washington Post, March 17, 2020.
- How the COVID-19 Pandemic Will Change the Built Environment. Architectural Digest, March 18, 2020.
- How Health Care Systems and Designers Can Tackle a Public Health Crisis Together. HKS, March 18, 2020.
- Help Hospitals Prepare for the Next Pandemic. Modern Healthcare. March 19, 2020.
- Can the U.S. Build a Hospital in Two Weeks? Fast Company, March 20, 2020.
- Designing Healthcare for Surge Capacity. Gensler, Week of March 23, 2020.
- Rethinking the ED to Accommodate High-Risk Infectious Patients. Healthcare Design, March 25, 2020.
- I thought Covid-19 Was not as Bad as HAIs. Was I Wrong? Sara Marberry’s Blog, March 27, 2020.
- Covid-19 and the Rise of Telemedicine. The Medical Futurist, March 31, 2020.
- Pandemic Preparedness: How Hospitals Can Adapt Buildings to Address Worst-case Scenarios. Building Design + Construction, April 6, 2020.
- How the Covid-19 Pandemic May Reshape U.S. Hospital Design. Undark, April 16, 2020.
- Design is Not Neutral: Alberto Salvatore on Building for Healthier Cities and Wellness. Arch Daily, April 21, 2020.
- How HCA Healthcare – One of the Country’s Largest Hospital Systems – Is Planning Amid Covid-19. Fierce Healthcare, April 21, 2020.
- How Will Telehealth Impact Outpatient Clinic Design? ZGF, April 16, 2020.
- Hospitals Adapt Real Estate to Fit New Normal After Covid-19. Modern Healthcare, April 28, 2020.
- Healthcare after Covid-19: Smart Design Solutions for Clinical Spaces. Nelson, accessed April 30, 2020.
- How to Plan for and Design Hospital-Ready Hotels. Hotel Business, May 5, 2020.
- Is Modular Construction the Answer to the Perceived Hospital Bed Shortage? John Lefkus on LinkedIn, May 13, 2020.
- Pandemic Prompts Flexible Healthcare Design, Modern Healthcare, May 16, 2020 (subscription required).
- Navigating a Pandemic: Planning Ideas for Pathways, People, and Reduced Touch. LS3P, accessed May 18, 2020.
- Designers Offer Insights Into the Future of Healthcare Environments. Interior Design, May 19, 2020.
- Covid-19 Survey Results. American College of Healthcare Architects, May 22,
- Q&A: Design Hospitals to Best Fight Infections Like Covid-19. Infection Control Today, May 22, 2020.
- Transitioning to a Virtual World of Health & Wellness. Gensler Blog, May 22, 2020.
- Alternative Healthcare Facilities: Architects Mobilize Their Creativity in Fight Against Covid-19. Arch Daily, May 28, 2020.
- Expert Perspectives: The Future of Healthcare. Contract. June 2020.
- Healthier Spaces: COVID-19 Prompts Rethink of Hospital Design. World Crunch, June 6, 2020. Originally published in Le Monde.
- Beyond the Pandemic: A Long-Term View of Healthcare Environments”New Normal.’ Building Design + Construction, June 22, 2020.
- Healthcare Facilities Design After Covid-19. Facility Executive. June 25, 2020.
- Are Hospitals Prepared for the Next Pandemic? Building Design + Construction, July 1, 2020.
Senior Housing & Residential Care
- Senior Housing Construction Could ‘Crash to Zero,’ Builders Brace for Covid-19 Effects. Senior Housing News, March 19, 2020.
- Innovator Bill Thomas: Covid-19 Will Lead to Senior Living ‘Reset’ Lasting 3-5 Years. Senior Housing News, March 25, 2020.
- 3 Covid-19 Predictions for Senior Housing: Occupancy, Pandemic Duration, Industry Recovery. Senior Housing News, March 29, 2020.
- How Covid-19 is Shaping the Future of Senior Living Architecture and Design. Senior Housing News, April 7, 2020.
- Coronavirus Exposes the Dangers of Age Segregation. Bloomberg Business News, April 21, 2020.
- As Covid-19 Ravages Nursing Homes, A New Push for Better Senior Housing. Huff Post, April 30, 2020.
- Reinvention: Breathing New Life into An Existing Senior Living Community. RLPS Architects Blog, April 28, 2020.
- What’s Next for Senior Living and Residential Care? Sara Marberry’s Blog, May 1, 2020.
- Covid-19 Has Hit Senior Living and Eldercare Hard–But There’s a Reason for Hope. Podcast interview with Jane Rhode. Interiors+Sources, May 10, 2020.
- As Death Toll in Nursing Homes Climbs, Calls to Redesign Them Grow. New York Times, May 12, 2020.
- Will the Pandemic Lead to Better, Safer Long-Term Care Facilities? Next Avenue, May 15, 2020.
- Pandemic Proves to be Pivotal Moment for Senior Care, Modern Healthcare, June 6, 2020 (subscription required).
- Why Some Nursing Homes Are Better Than Others at Protecting Residents and Staff from Covid-19. The Conversation, June 11, 2020.
- Coronavirus Lives for Hours in Air Particles and Days on Surfaces, New U.S. Study Shows. CNBC, March 18, 2020.
- Ultraviolet LEDs Prove Effective in Eliminating Coronavirus from Surfaces and, Potentially, Air and Water. ScienceDaily, April 14, 2020.
- Coronavirus May Linger in Air in Patient Bathrooms, Medical Staff Areas, Study Finds. Becker’s Hospital Review, April 27, 2020.
- CDC Study Finds Shoes Spreading COVID-19 in Hospitals; Shoe Hygiene Tips to Stop That Spread, McMorrow Reports/Healthcare, May 10, 2020.
What Would You Add?
If there are any article or blog posts that you think should be added to this list, please email me the link. Or post it in the comment section below.
P.S. Please do me a favor — if you liked this post and like this blog, please share it with others by sending them the link or posting it on your Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook. Also, don’t forget to subscribe, so you’ll get emails when new content is posted. Thanks!