Updated December 17, 2020.
Since early March, I’ve been compiling a list of useful articles and blog posts that are relevant to the impact of Covid-19 on senior housing, hospital, clinic, and residential facility design.
They are listed by date published, with the most recent at the bottom of each category. I’ll keep updating this list every once and a while, so bookmark the link to this page and check back again.
Hospitals & Clinics
- CDC Creates ‘Interim Guidance for Healthcare Facilities: Preparing for Community Transmission of COVID-19 in the United States,’ McMorrow Reports/Healthcare, March 8, 2020.
- A Look at How U.S. Hospitals Are Designed to Battle Infectious Diseases Like Coronavirus. CannonDesign, March 11, 2020.
- Array Advisor’s Model Validates Fears of ICU Bed Shortage Due to Coronavirus Pandemic. Array Architects, March 16, 2020.
- Copper Kills Coronavirus. Why Aren’t Our Surfaces Covered in It? Fast Company, March 16, 2020.
- During COVID-19, Experts Outline 5 KeySteps for Finding Extra Hospital Capacity. Modern Healthcare, March 16, 2020.
- Is There a Silver Lining to COVID-19? Healthcare Design, March 16, 2020.
- Pandemics Spread in Hospitals. Changes in Design and Protocols Can Save Lives. Washington Post, March 17, 2020.
- How the COVID-19 Pandemic Will Change the Built Environment. Architectural Digest, March 18, 2020.
- How Health Care Systems and Designers Can Tackle a Public Health Crisis Together. HKS, March 18, 2020.
- Help Hospitals Prepare for the Next Pandemic. Modern Healthcare. March 19, 2020.
- Can the U.S. Build a Hospital in Two Weeks? Fast Company, March 20, 2020.
- Designing Healthcare for Surge Capacity. Gensler, Week of March 23, 2020.
- Rethinking the ED to Accommodate High-Risk Infectious Patients. Healthcare Design, March 25, 2020.
- I thought Covid-19 Was not as Bad as HAIs. Was I Wrong? Sara Marberry’s Blog, March 27, 2020.
- Covid-19 and the Rise of Telemedicine. The Medical Futurist, March 31, 2020.
- Pandemic Preparedness: How Hospitals Can Adapt Buildings to Address Worst-case Scenarios. Building Design + Construction, April 6, 2020.
- How the Covid-19 Pandemic May Reshape U.S. Hospital Design. Undark, April 16, 2020.
- Design is Not Neutral: Alberto Salvatore on Building for Healthier Cities and Wellness. Arch Daily, April 21, 2020.
- How HCA Healthcare – One of the Country’s Largest Hospital Systems – Is Planning Amid Covid-19. Fierce Healthcare, April 21, 2020.
- How Will Telehealth Impact Outpatient Clinic Design? ZGF, April 16, 2020.
- Hospitals Adapt Real Estate to Fit New Normal After Covid-19. Modern Healthcare, April 28, 2020.
- Healthcare after Covid-19: Smart Design Solutions for Clinical Spaces. Nelson, accessed April 30, 2020.
- How to Plan for and Design Hospital-Ready Hotels. Hotel Business, May 5, 2020.
- Is Modular Construction the Answer to the Perceived Hospital Bed Shortage? John Lefkus on LinkedIn, May 13, 2020.
- Pandemic Prompts Flexible Healthcare Design, Modern Healthcare, May 16, 2020 (subscription required).
- Navigating a Pandemic: Planning Ideas for Pathways, People, and Reduced Touch. LS3P, accessed May 18, 2020.
- Designers Offer Insights Into the Future of Healthcare Environments. Interior Design, May 19, 2020.
- Covid-19 Survey Results. American College of Healthcare Architects, May 22,
- Q&A: Design Hospitals to Best Fight Infections Like Covid-19. Infection Control Today, May 22, 2020.
- Transitioning to a Virtual World of Health & Wellness. Gensler Blog, May 22, 2020.
- Alternative Healthcare Facilities: Architects Mobilize Their Creativity in Fight Against Covid-19. Arch Daily, May 28, 2020.
- Expert Perspectives: The Future of Healthcare. Contract. June 2020.
- Healthier Spaces: COVID-19 Prompts Rethink of Hospital Design. World Crunch, June 6, 2020. Originally published in Le Monde.
- Beyond the Pandemic: A Long-Term View of Healthcare Environments”New Normal.’ Building Design + Construction, June 22, 2020.
- The Patient Journey Reconsidered. HGA, June 23, 2020.
- Healthcare Facilities Design After Covid-19. Facility Executive. June 25, 2020.
- Are Hospitals Prepared for the Next Pandemic? Building Design + Construction, July 1, 2020.
- How is COVID-19 Impacting Healthcare Design? D Magazine, July 21, 2020.
- How Can Workplace Design Learn From Healthcare in a Post-Pandemic World? AllWork, August 13, 2020.
- Is This a Good Time to Rethink Everything? HERD Journal, August 13, 2020.
- Access to Nature Has Always Been Important; With COVID-19, It is Essential. HERD Journal, August 17, 2020.
- Resilient Design in Healthcare Will Affect Pandemic Response. HealthTech, September 11, 2020.
- Covid-19’s Impact on Healthcare Design and Construction. Healthcare Operations & Construction, September 15, 2020.
- COVID Forces a Rethinking of the Spaces Where Health Care Happens. Crain’s Chicago Business, September 24, 2020.
- Modular Construction Can Offer Healthcare Facilities Needed Flexibility. Healthcare Facilities Today, September 30, 2020.
- One-Year Anniversary: New Stanford Hospital’s Space, Technology Have Proven key to COVID-19 Care. SCOPE, November 20, 2020.
Senior Housing & Residential Care
- Senior Housing Construction Could ‘Crash to Zero,’ Builders Brace for Covid-19 Effects. Senior Housing News, March 19, 2020.
- Innovator Bill Thomas: Covid-19 Will Lead to Senior Living ‘Reset’ Lasting 3-5 Years. Senior Housing News, March 25, 2020.
- 3 Covid-19 Predictions for Senior Housing: Occupancy, Pandemic Duration, Industry Recovery. Senior Housing News, March 29, 2020.
- How Covid-19 is Shaping the Future of Senior Living Architecture and Design. Senior Housing News, April 7, 2020.
- Coronavirus Exposes the Dangers of Age Segregation. Bloomberg Business News, April 21, 2020.
- As Covid-19 Ravages Nursing Homes, A New Push for Better Senior Housing. Huff Post, April 30, 2020.
- Reinvention: Breathing New Life into An Existing Senior Living Community. RLPS Architects Blog, April 28, 2020.
- What’s Next for Senior Living and Residential Care? Sara Marberry’s Blog, May 1, 2020.
- Covid-19 Has Hit Senior Living and Eldercare Hard–But There’s a Reason for Hope. Podcast interview with Jane Rhode. Interiors+Sources, May 10, 2020.
- As Death Toll in Nursing Homes Climbs, Calls to Redesign Them Grow. New York Times, May 12, 2020.
- Will the Pandemic Lead to Better, Safer Long-Term Care Facilities? Next Avenue, May 15, 2020.
- Smaller is Better: Covid-19 Primes Senior Living for Rise of Small-House Models. Senior Housing News, June 3, 2020.
- Pandemic Proves to be Pivotal Moment for Senior Care. Modern Healthcare, June 6, 2020 (subscription required).
- Why Some Nursing Homes Are Better Than Others at Protecting Residents and Staff from Covid-19. The Conversation, June 11, 2020.
- Future Strategies for Senior Living Design. Environments for Aging, June 19, 2020.
- Covid-19 Opened the Telehealth Floodgates, But Barriers Remain in Senior Living. Senior Housing News, June 24, 2020.
- Designing Senior Housing for Safe Interaction. MASS Design Group, July 8, 2020.
- Is It Time to Transform Aged Care? Senior Living Foresight, October 14, 2020.
- Senior Living Scorecard Focuses Operators on Health, Wellness Strategies. McKnight’s Senior Living, October 15, 2020.
- Nursing Home Design and Covid-19: Balancing Infection Control, quality of Life, and Resilience. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, November 2020.
Transmission & Infection Control
- Coronavirus Lives for Hours in Air Particles and Days on Surfaces, New U.S. Study Shows. CNBC, March 18, 2020.
- Ultraviolet LEDs Prove Effective in Eliminating Coronavirus from Surfaces and, Potentially, Air and Water. ScienceDaily, April 14, 2020.
- Coronavirus May Linger in Air in Patient Bathrooms, Medical Staff Areas, Study Finds. Becker’s Hospital Review, April 27, 2020.
- CDC Study Finds Shoes Spreading COVID-19 in Hospitals; Shoe Hygiene Tips to Stop That Spread. McMorrow Reports/Healthcare, May 10, 2020.
- One Metre or Two? The Science Behind Social Distancing. The Conversation, June 18, 2020.
- Airborne Coronavirus: What You Should Do Now. New York Times, July 6, 2020.
- Ultraviolet Light Can Make Indoor Spaces Safer During the Pandemic — If It’s Used the Right Way. The Conversation, September 9, 2020.
- What to Look for When Comparing UV Sterilization Devices. LED Lighting Supply, July 6, 2020.
What Would You Add?
If there are any articles or blog posts that you think should be added to this list, please email me the link. Or post it in the comment section below.
P.S. Please do me a favor — if you liked this post and like this blog, please share it with others by sending them the link or posting it on your Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook. Also, don’t forget to subscribe, so you’ll get emails when new content is posted. Thanks!