In March 2020, I started compiling a list of articles about how Covid-19 is changing how we think about healthcare facility design, including senior care and housing.
But the list got a little out of control.
And the thinking is evolving and changing. We know more now than we did in March 2020.
So, I'm starting a new list to reflect more recent insights, ideas, and information -- including some voices outside the healthcare facility design industry.
I've already shared many of these on social media. The Atlantic article about the history of air ventilation in hospitals and other buildings as an infection control strategy got over 2,000 views in my LinkedIn feed.
Hospitals & Clinics
- The Secret to Hospital design Was Solved 150 Years Ago. Why Did We Ignore It? Fast Company, December 20, 2021.
- Four Trends Shaping Future of Healthcare Design. Healthcare Facilities Today, December 2, 2021.
- Key Design Strategies for Pandemic Resilience. Health Facilities Management, October 31, 2021.
- A Pandemic-conscious Blueprint for Architecture. Gensler, August 17, 2021.
- Space Planning for Pandemic Resilience. Health Facilities Management, July 31, 2021.
- Anticipating the Pandemic'sLong-Term Effect on Healthcare Design. Healthcare Construction + Operations, April 21, 2021.
- Five Tips to Better Equip Hospitals for the Next Pandemic. Modern Healthcare, March 29, 2021.
- What the Post-Pandemic Hospital Might Look Like. Bloomberg CityLab. February 23, 2021.
- Healthcare Design in a Post-COVID World. Building Design + Construction. February 5, 2021.
- The Pandemic Resilient Hospital: How Design Can Help Facilities Stay Operational and Safe. HKS. January 26, 2021.
- Covid-19 Reshapes the Future of Hospital Design. Medical Expo e-mag, January 4, 2021.
- Three Steps Hospitals Can Take To Better Utilize Office Space Post-Covid. Forbes, December 22, 2020.
- Inner Circle. Roundtable discussion about healthcare aesthetics, functionality, and product requirements that have evolved since Covid. Healthcare Design, January/February 2022.
Senior Living, Housing, & Residential Care
- How Can Healthy Building Strategies Help Senior Living Communities? DesignWell, November 22, 2021.
- Will the Nursing Home of the Future be an Actual Home? Politico, April 30, 2021.
- Memory Care Innovations Take Hold in Wake of Covid-19. Senior Housing News, April 15, 2021.
- Top Senior Housing Trends for 2021. Senior Housing News, January 2, 2021.
- Nursing Home Design and Covid-19: Balancing Infection Control, Quality of Life, and Resilience. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, November 2020.
- Senior Living Scorecard Focuses Operators on Health, Wellness Strategies. McKnight's Senior Living, October 15, 2020.
- Is It Time to Transform Aged Care? Senior Living Foresight, October 14, 2020.
- A ‘Smoke Detector’ for COVID-19? It’s Here. Fast Company, November 10, 2021.
- Cleaning Indoor Air May Prevent COVID-19’s Spread. But It’s Harder Than it Looks. Science News, May 18, 2021.
- We’re Just Rediscovering a 19th-Century Pandemic Strategy. The Atlantic. February 22, 2021.
- Power of Prevention. Healthcare Design. February 16, 2021.
- COVID-19 Rarely Spreads Through Surfaces. So Why Are We Still Deep Cleaning? Nature. January 29, 20201.
- To Make a Building Healthier, Stop Sanitizing Everything. Bloomberg Businessweek. December 21, 2020.
- Ultraviolet Light Kills Coronavirus, But Caution Required. Facilities.net, November 9, 2020.
I'll be updating this list every once and a while, so check back for the latest good stuff. And if you have an article you'd like for me to add to the list, post in the comments below or contact me.
P.S. Please do me a favor -- if you liked this post and like this blog, please share it with others by sending them the link or posting it on your Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook. Also, don't forget to subscribe, so you'll get emails when new content is posted. Thanks!