In early March, I started compiling a list of articles and blog posts relevant to the impact of Covid-19 on healthcare facility design. As I came across more articles, I added them.
But the list has grown really long and our thinking has evolved.
Now that we've moved past the "what do we do right now" stage into the "how can we continue to be safe" stage, I'm more interested in ideas and thoughts on what we can do different -- or better in senior housing, hospital, clinic, and residential care facility design.
The time is ripe for new thinking, creativity, and innovation.
Here's my "A List" of recent articles, blog posts, and resources that explore what comes next.
Hospitals & Clinics
- Access to Nature Has Always Been Important; With COVID-19, It is Essential. Naomi Sachs, HERD Journal, August 17, 2020.
- Is This a Good Time to Rethink Everything? Kirk Hamilton, HERD Journal, August 13, 2020.
- Healthcare Facilities Design After Covid-19. Facility Executive. June 25, 2020.
- Beyond the Pandemic: A Long-Term View of Healthcare Environments ''New Normal." Building Design + Construction, June 22, 2020.
- Designers Offer Insights Into the Future of Healthcare Environments. Interior Design, May 19, 2020.
- Navigating a Pandemic: Planning Ideas for Pathways, People, and Reduced Touch. LS3P, accessed May 18, 2020.
- How the Covid-19 Pandemic May Reshape U.S. Hospital Design. Undark, April 16, 2020.
- Rethinking the ED to Accommodate High-Risk Infectious Patients. Healthcare Design, March 25, 2020.
- Designing Healthcare for Surge Capacity. Gensler, Week of March 23, 2020.
- How the COVID-19 Pandemic Will Change the Built Environment. Architectural Digest, March 18, 2020.
Senior Housing & Residential Care
- Designing Senior Housing for Safe Interaction. MASS Design Group, July 8, 2020.
- Future Strategies for Senior Living Design. Environments for Aging, June 19, 2020.
- Smaller is Better: Covid-19 Primes Senior Living for Rise of Small-House Models. Senior Housing News, June 3, 2020.
- Will the Pandemic Lead to Better, Safer Long-Term Care Facilities? Next Avenue, May 15, 2020.
- What's Next for Senior Living and Residential Care? Sara Marberry's Blog, May 1, 2020.
- Reinvention: Breathing New Life into An Existing Senior Living Community. RLPS Architects Blog, April 28, 2020.
- How Covid-19 is Shaping the Future of Senior Living Architecture and Design. Senior Housing News, April 7, 2020.
What Would You Add?
If there are any articles or blog posts that you think should be added to this list, please contact me. Or post a comment in the box below.
P.S. Please do me a favor -- if you liked this post and like this blog, please share it with others by sending them the link or posting it on your Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook. Also, don't forget to subscribe, so you'll get emails when new content is posted. Thanks!
Photo 50644848 © Rawpixelimages - Dreamstime.com